We are always trying to juggle it all. Housework, our jobs, bills, child care, family time, friendships… the list goes on. But, what about me time? It is so important to have some time for yourself. After all, if you aren’t in the best shape you can be, how can you give others the best version of you? So, make some space in your busy schedule now! It is time for you to plan some me time activities!
How do I make time for me?
Well, according to time management expert, Laura Vanderkam:
When we say we don’t have the time what we’re really saying is: it’s not a priority. Time is highly elastic – it will stretch to accomodate what we choose to put into it.
There are 168 hours in a week. There is definitely enough time for you to sit back, unwind and relax.
Why is me time important?
- Think about it… To love someone, you spend time with them. Thus, the more time you spend with them, you learn more about them and fall deeper in love with them. If you neglect spending time with this person or see them less frequently, you’re likely to slowly forget them. You could even fall out of love with them, right? Apply this to yourself. Me time activities are needed in order to stay connected with who you are, and more importantly, to fall in love yourself.
- Did you know that good relationships keep us happier and healthier? Psychiatrist Robert Waldinger said this himself. After carrying out a 75-year-old study on what truly makes us happy, he identified that the key to happiness is good relationships. Of course, this includes the one with yourself. So, build your relationship with yourself so you can maintain healthy relationships with everyone else too.
- Me time activities will allow you to appreciate the little things. So if you take the time to just relax you will realise that you have, and achieved, more than you think!
With these facts, you probably want to know what to do in your me time. To make it easier for you to decide, we have some me time activities based on either leisure or relaxation.
Example of Me Time Activities
Create a list of hobbies and interests. This will remind you of what you should be doing when you have a bit of freedom. Stuck for ideas? Here are a few of ours:
- Reading. It is simple but efficient! Our current recommendations are:
- Photography: Forget your phone! Get a cheap film camera and take some snaps around town. This is a fun way to get out, make some memories and possibly meet new people.
- Shopping: Retail therapy? Yes, please! Whether it’s window shopping or online shopping, it’s a good way to take your mind off things. However, ban fast fashion!
- Baking: If you love being in the kitchen, baking is a perfect option. You can listen to your favourite podcast whilst doing it. The best part is the delicious reward at the end!
- Running: Get an endorphin release. Jogging allows you to focus on your breathing and thoughts whilst keeping your body fit. Why not try a 10 minute jog through the park? You’ll have a fantastic view and fresh air!
If you’re more of a sit back and relax type of person. Why not try this relaxation kit we’ve curated. Five things to do in five hours, guaranteed to help you unwind and relax in the comfort of your home!
- Watch a film/start a netflix series
- Listen to your favourite album
- Try a face mask. We have a few DIY recipes you can try here
- Paint your nails
If you’ve got the money a spa day would be great too. We hope you prioritise some me time activities into your weekly schedules because you deserve it!