Summer 2018 is finally here! Longer days, holidays and sun-kissed skin. But remember, protection always comes first. So, to keep you safe and glowing we’ve searched high and low for the best natural sunscreen products for your skin.
Three key things to note:
- The main active ingredient to avoid is oxybenzone. Recently banned in Hawaii for its damages to coral reefs, studies show that it can disrupt hormones and cause allergic reactions. In light of this, companies such as Alba Botanica have a clear classification of their reef safe sunscreen products. Thus it makes it easier for you to help the environment.
- Zinc oxide is the safest active ingredient found in natural sunscreen. A protector from UVA, UVB and UVC rays.
- According to the Skin Cancer Foundation, “SPFs of 15 or higher are necessary for adequate every day protection. For more extended or intense sun exposure, we recommend SPFs of 30 or higher.”
Three reasons to wear sunscreen:
- Most sunscreens are waterproof shielding your skin from rays even if you’re sweating or swimming.
- You can tan safely! Prepare your skin by safeguarding it from harmful UV rays and you’ll gain a glowing tan instead of a red and painful sunburn.
- Broad spectrum sunscreens reflect UVA and UVB rays away from the skin rather than absorbing them. This helps to protect your skin from sunburn, signs of ageing and skin cancer.
Our fave Natural Sunscreen:
Our list of sunscreens are water resistant. It includes options that are suitable for eczema, sensitive skin and the entire family . They all include zinc oxide and are some of the most risk-free natural sunscreens available.
It is Vegan Society approved. A natural sunscreen spf 30 that is rich in antioxidants. It protects skin cells and reduces signs of ageing. It is fast absorbing, offers broad spectrum protection and is paraben free. Yaoh is an original hemp UK based brand that is 100% vegan and free from animal testing.
Alba Botanica sensitive mineral sunscreen
This sunscreen is classified as, not only a natural sunscreen spf 30, but also a reef safe sunscreen. So it is also an environmentally friendly option. Indeed, it doesn’t include oxybenzone or octinoxate, both chemicals proven to cause damage to coral reefs. Alba Botanica is a vegetarian brand that is committed to helping women around the world.
Odylique (a personal favourite of ours!) Natural Sunscreen spf 30 is suitable for sensitive skin and the entire family. As the first sunscreen to be organically certified and Fairtrade approved, it ticks all the right boxes. It includes a range of organic ingredients with soothing properties such as chamomile, shea butter and karanja oil. Odylique is a family owned UK business that hand makes all their products.